1) What is your name and where do you work?
My name is Carolin Schwarz and I work for Synthesis Germany at our Hamburg office.
2) How and when did you enter the game localization industry?
… I entered the industry by sheer good fortune, as I worked for a business consultancy before, where I didn’t have anything to do with localization or even games. I didn’t like my job very much and started looking for a new one, which then was at Periscope Studio. A few years later we started Synthesis Germany as a joint venture.
3) What is your primary job at Synthesis?
My primary job is beeing the Managing Director of Synthesis Germany but almost at the same priority I work as a Project Manager.
4) What do you have to take care of today?
Today I am working on the preproduction of two upcoming projects, which means I set up schedules and budgets, prepare some quotes and also make sure the studio gets all necessary information for the start of the recordings next week. Also I have to do some accounting, which is actually not as nice as the preproduction part. 🙂
5) What was your most demanding project and what made it so special?
Actually I am working on the two most demanding projects ever right now, but so far it was Skyrim, which was the first project with over 600k words I worked on. Special here was the number of actors involved, there were over 50 from different cities in Germany which had to be booked and scheduled.
6) What is your favourite game and why?
Actually I am not very passionate about gaming in general, but I like to play Mario Kart and Dishonored.
7) What do you love about videogames localization?
I love the diversity of all the projects and clients, as there are always new challenges to find. 🙂
8) What do you hate about videogames localization?
Crazy arrogant “stars” and voice artists who consider themselves as omniscient and very clever.
9) Final question: What do you do when you’re not sitting in front of your computer?
I’m in equestrian sports and also do fitness. I catch up with my friends as often as I can and I really love travelling! 🙂